WHO WE ARE
YWCA of Yonkers is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YWCA Yonkers is a progressive association committed to preparing women and children mind, body and soul, to value and accept diversity and to become well-rounded individuals.
YWCA Yonkers opened its doors in 1892 using borrowed church rooms in response to the deplorable labor, housing and health conditions facing young women and girls. YWCA Yonkers responded with housing, job training, health and physical education, community activism and social and recreational activities. In 1894, the Yonkers YWCA moved to its own rented quarters at 32 South Broadway, and in 1895 it was granted a charter of incorporation by the State of New York.
With a passionate desire to position YWCA Yonkers to meet the increasing and varied needs of women and girls, the Board of Directors and members conducted the first ever fundraising drive in 1898 and purchased the "Prospect Street House". Our facilitated programs met the needs of a growing city and provide boarding for young women in need of safe and reliable accommodation. In 1912, a decision was made to erect a new facility that would not only meet the immediate needs of the surrounding community but also the needs that our community may face in the future. The land was donated by Alexander Smith Cochran. The ground was broken in 1912, and the building was completed and occupied in 1914. The swimming pool was added in 1932, the children's playground was acquired in 1946, and the parking lot was donated in 1964 by C.W.C Associates.
YWCA Yonkers today continues to be a valued multi-service center providing services to meet the needs of a growing, diverse and dynamic city. When the YWCA opened its doors at 87 South Broadway in 1914, it was said to include "the residence, gymnasium, welcoming lounge, auditorium, class and meeting rooms". The reputation of the YWCA was that of "the friendly place".
Today, the building as mostly the same as it was then, with the exception of the swimming pool, which was added in 1932 but closed in 1999.